Students’ Champion

Ms. Adrian supports Raiders in many ways

Students+Champion

This school year the Isle File has decided to acknowledge the hard work and dedication of our Channel Islands staff members. We are delighted to announce that our Raider Hero for this issue is Ms. Monica Adrian, an English teacher.

For 13 years, Ms. Adrian has been a backbone of the school. She is the advisor for Mock Trial and Raider for Animal Rights and the school’s certificated Union representative for the Oxnard Federation of Teachers.

She began the Mock Trial team in 2005 equipped with a criminology and law bachelor’s degree from UC Irvine. Mock Trial is essentially fake court with a twist of acting.

Having no experience in Mock Trial, Ms. Adrian said, “The first year, we didn’t know what we were doing at the time, but eventually we figured things out. After a few years we took the team to the very top.”

Mock Trial is a very demanding activity; however, Ms. Adrian manages to juggle her family life (husband and three girls) and her Mock Trial life extremely well.

“She’s very dedicated to her work and super invested in Mock Trial,” said Mock Trial team manager Alexa Harvey.

In 2008, Ms. Adrian started the Raiders for Animal Rights club when one of her students approached her about wanting to bring awareness to how animals are treated. Ms. Adrian, a vegetarian, is well known for her dedication to help all animals.

Harvey recalls a time when Ms. Adrian helped her rescue a stray cat.

“The kitten was having trouble breathing. I called Ms. Adrian because I didn’t know what to do. She talked me through it and got Officer McCready to help us. Both Ms. Adrian and Officer McCready made sure the injured kitten got to the shelter.”

At the age of 14, Ms. Adrian made the bold decision to become a vegetarian. Her transition to vegetarianism was difficult as she grew up eating meat. Her grandparents and father were farmers, which made her choice even more difficult.

“It was hard to challenge my parents,” Ms. Adrian said, “because they were so strict. At such a young age, you don’t really go against your parents or grandparents.”

Over the years, Ms. Adrian has been asked by hundreds of students to write letters of recommendation for universities, scholarships, and academic programs. She goes the extra mile to make sure she has encompassed the personality of the student in her writing.

“We have so many gems at CI, and when I talk to different people outside of school and they downplay CI compared to the Oaks Christians or the La Reinas, I say, ‘No, we do have powerhouse hitters here,’” she said.

“Sometimes the kids don’t realize how powerful they are or how great they are, so when I write these letters of recommendations, I’m going make sure you see what I see. You’re going to know what I know because these students are important. I feel like CI doesn’t get the credit we deserve for the amazing students we have.”