Returning teachers couldn’t get enough of the Islands vibe

English teacher Ms. Kim Visser missed CI in her year at Oxnard High.

Many teachers will switch over to a different school, such as where they first started teaching or somewhere closer to home, or maybe to try something new.

But nothing beats the Raider spirit, which is probably why when some teachers leave they find themselves homesick, wanting to be back at the Islands. Although only a few teachers will actually come back, they are welcomed with open arms and smiles.

This year, three teachers returned to CI: English teachers Ms. Kim Visser and Mr. Nick Schlesinger, and math teacher Ms. Terrie Romines.

Ms.Visser, who has been an English teacher at the Islands since 2005, switched over to Oxnard High School two years ago but came back after one year.

She came back because she missed the kids,  the feeling of one big family, and the community of the islands. “Everyone helps each other.,” she said.

Her son, however, thinks high school is boring and she simply stated that he was boring because, “High school is what you make of it.”

Another teacher who left would be Ms. Romines, a math teacher who had been teaching at the Islands since 1991.

Romines was teaching here for 21 years before switching over to Camarillo High School for 3 years to be closer to home, in order to take care of her son until he had finished junior high. Romines is very happy to be back and she states that she was “homesick for CI.”

Mr. Schlesinger, another longtime CI teacher, spent one year at Pacifica High before returning to CI this year.

For students it is a great feeling being able to see their former teachers again. It is nothing but a walk down memory lane.

Some teachers are just hard to forget because they might have been really helpful and had done anything to make sure that students would succeed.

A funny teacher that can crack a joke without it being lame is definitely worth remembering.

Unfortunately, we had a few teachers  leave us within the years but thankfully they have returned to the islands.