Herrera works hard with eye on future

manuela herrera

As a freshman, Manuela Herrera just wanted to try her best. She wanted to become top ten and be involved in school activities, but she never pictured herself being as involved as she is today. All that hard work and stress has paid off and shown with all the success she carries on today and most certainly in the future.

Herrera, who grew up in a family of four, being the youngest, and from low income, has been in our school’s top ten since the beginning of sophomore year. She never imagined herself to be at the place she’s standing on today. Herrera attended Ocean View Jr. High, where she took all honors classes. Since, junior high and high school aren’t always viewed and handled the same way, it brought down Herrera’s hope and self-esteem.

“Coming into high school, I wasn’t as confident in my abilities as I was in middle school,” said Herrera.

After a while, Herrera began to feel a bit more comfortable around the islands. Freshman year, there was one teacher that brought the most impact into her life. Mr. Rogelio Juarez, her Spanish teacher, would always have positive things to tell his students and specifically to Herrera.

“Never give up on your dreams,” Juarez would say to her. “Doctora Herrera, tu me vas a cuidar cuando esta viejito.”

From her freshman year to today, she pushed herself to meet more people and become more involved with her community. Herrera has been a part of Upward Bound, Key Club, Link Crew, French Club, Latina’s Club, Leading the Youth, Choir at Mary Star of the Sea Church, Ocean View Early Education Center, and a Tierra Vista volunteer.

High school hasn’t been an easy ride for Herrera. As of now, AP Physics has to be the most challenging class she’s ever taken in high school.

“I must say, it has to be the way of teaching,” said Herrera. “You pretty much have to do it all by yourself, haven’t been challenged that way before.”

High school has prepared Herrera in many different ways for her future. Attending a four- year university right after high school has been her goal. Not only that, she is planning to continue her college career until she becomes a doctor, pediatrician, OB/GYN, or a neurologist.

This fall she applied to CSUCI, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, UCSB, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, and UC San Diego. For private schools, she applied to CLU, University of Pennsylvania, Vanderbilt University, University of Virginia, and lastly Yale University. Herrera so far has been granted admission to Fullerton, CSUCI, and University of Pennsylvania.

Scholarships are extremely important to Herrera. She’s trying her hardest to not leave her parents in so much debt. Herrera has received two scholarships so far, the Elk’s National Foundation    Local Scholarship and Soroptimist. Other money opportunities are still in the progress.

Herrera can’t wait to start her new chapter in life in a university campus. She’s looking forward to make new memories and meet new faces. Just like high school, she is nervous, but yet super stoked.

With only a few months left of high school, Herrera knows the day to say goodbye to many will be approaching quicker and quicker each day. She knows she will still keep in touch with all her friends.

She would like say a few words: “I am just blessed to have had such amazing family and friends support me throughout my life, my journey, and everyone else’s. We just have to remind ourselves to look back and see how far we have come since setting a foot at Channel Islands High School.”