Spaniard living California dream

Here at The Islands our students seem to excel at making people feel right at home. The Raiders were ready to receive the new foreign exchange student with open arms as soon as they heard the news.

Blanca Urbano, a 15 year old foreign exchange from Spain is living the California dream. She’s visiting the U.S. on a foreign exchange program and is loving every moment of it.

“One of my favorite things has to be the people,” said Urbano about her time in the US.

Ms. Urbano says that people here are much nicer than back home and adds, “I was walking the other day and a random girl stops me and says omg I love your eyes.”

Urbano explains how in her family learning proper English is a key to success. Her older sister is also studying in a different country. Their parents encourage them to continue improving their English so they could be well prepared for college.

She is enjoying CI along with all the raider spirit, but is a little overwhelmed with all the students and how big the campus is.

While trying to do well on her academics Urbano makes time to go out and take advantage of all the wonderful things California has to offer. She explains how she loves the California sunset, but isn’t all that thrilled with the food. “The food here isn’t that great and there’s a lot of junk food” said Urbano.

“In America I had my first corn and Hot Cheetos, which make me cry every time I eat them,” says Urbano and adds that she works out as much as she can on the weekends.

Urbano still has 6 months until it’s time for her to head back home. She is savoring every minute she has left in the U.S. When she gets homesick she tries to remember how great of an opportunity she is living.