United in Sympathy

Raiders join nation in remembering fallen students

By Hailee Smith

Students gather in the quad on March 14.

On March 14, schools all over the nation participated in a 17-minute walkout to commemorate the 17 lives lost in the Parkland, Florida, school shooting on the morning of Feb. 14.

At Channel Islands, students in Associated Student Body (ASB) sought a safer gathering to honor those that passed away.

A 17-minute memorial ceremony was held in the quad  at 10 a.m., a month after the shooting occurred.

“I am very proud of our students that put the event together and those who spoke about what they felt was right,” said CI principal Dr. Ray Senesac. “We have to reflect on what we are doing. When people record fights and share them on social media, it stains our public image.”

Assistant principal Mr. Randy Ortiz said that when we label people and put them into groups, we blame said groups for atrocities that occur, but “everyone is to blame and everyone is responsible.”

Somber music played as students began to flood the quad. An introduction was made by ASB president Vernadette Laderas, who initiated the remembrance. After her introduction, 17 seconds of silence ensued.

A speech by Roselyn Romero followed, where she spoke out about solutions to violence: reducing the number of publicized fights that promote violence and getting the attention of those who have power in our community.

Angelina Leaños, CI’s Poetry Out Loud winner, succeeded Romero with a spoken word poem that moved many people.

A representative from County Supervisor John Zaragoza’s office spoke as well.

The observation concluded with a group recital of Maya Angelou’s poem “Human Family.”

The memorial ceremony was not only made to honor those who were killed, but also to serve as a forum for those students who wanted their opinions to be heard.

Other schools around the nation made it their goal to pressure government officials to strengthen gun laws.