Filed under Features, Showcase

Full of School Spirit

Mr. Z runs ASB, tennis with heart and a smile

Another month has passed and it’s time to congratulate the Isle File’s new Raider Hero.

Our Raider Hero for February is none other than Mr. Brett Zielsdorf, the ASB director, boys’ and girls’ tennis coach, and English teacher.

The Isle File has unanimously decided to recognize one Raider staff member who has exemplified community, integrity, honor, and social responsibility in all aspects of his life.

Mr. Zielsdorf, also known as Mr. Z, has been teaching at CI for 18 years. Out of those 18 years, he has been an ASB director and tennis coach for 14 years.

He grew up in Ventura and graduated from Buena High School and then Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. He eventually worked his way to Channel Islands.

Mr. Z not only shows his own CI spirit on a daily basis, but spreads it to all the ASB members as well.

“I love the students’ energy and their motivation and will to truly make their school a better place,” said Mr. Z.

The tennis coach also loves sports. He teaches his tennis team members how to be an athlete and helps them exude sportsmanship.

Girls tennis team captain and Key Club president Sheila Valerio speaks highly of Mr. Z.

“Mr. Z is supportive, energetic, and is the type of person who would motivate anyone,” Valerio said. “He has helped me find my ‘mojo’ for tennis — my attitude as an athlete.”

The students aren’t the only ones who think Mr. Z is a hero. Volleyball coach Mr. George Hinckley and soccer coach Mr. Adrian Garcia believe that Mr. Z deserves recognition for his many contributions.

“He is tireless, unselfish, and willing to sacrifice the time and energy to help others,” said Mr. Hinckley.

“Zielsdorf is passionate and bleeds blue and gold,” Mr. Garcia said.

Channel Islands is fortunate to have an amazing collection of staff members, and Mr. Zielsdorf is just one out of the many individuals who dedicate their time to this school and to the students.

Mr. Z’s favorite aspect about the Islands is the students’ school spirit.

“I have been at a lot of different schools,” said Mr. Z, “but I felt something new and unique about this place. The kids here are awesome and are battlers.”