DACA ruling causes anger, fear

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, was an executive order issued by former U.S. President Barack Obama on June 15, 2012.

DACA gave immense hope to its participants, or Dreamers, that their dreams would be possible. It allowed immigrants to stay in the country for a span of 2 years and granted them work authorization. Any immigrant who was brought into the country as a minor or was under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012 was eligible to apply if they met all the other requirements.

Earlier this month, President Donald Trump decided to put an end to DACA. His actions have caused an uproar of anger and fear throughout our community, especially the Latino community, who make up the majority of Dreamers.

As a school that consists of many students who are immigrants and possible Dreamers, there are many students on campus who are terrified of their education being put to an end due to Presidents Trump’s decision to rescind DACA.

On September 14, 2017, Superintendent Dr. Penelope De Leon appeared on Triton Talk, Pacifica High School’s official news broadcast, and addressed the issue of fear within our Oxnard Union High School District community.

After warmly greeting all OUHSD students, she immediately delved into the topic of DACA. “The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that local school districts have a constitutional mandate to educate all students residing within their jurisdictional boundaries, regardless of their immigration status,” she said.  “As a district, all administrators, support staff, and (…) teachers are 100 percent committed to continuing to do everything within our power to prepare every student for success as adults.”

When asked about their opinions on President Trump’s decision, Dr. Ray Senesac and Mr. Randy Ortiz both replied with sincerity.

“Our purpose in life is not to decide who gets (an) education,” said Dr. Senesac.

Mr. Ortiz advised Raiders to “achieve, (because) anything you achieve cannot be taken away from you.”

Our district and community members are dedicated to providing an education to every student who is willing to try, they said, regardless of where they come from.