Officer McCready Staying Put

Her Assignment at CI is Extended 2 Years

mccreadyDr. Trudy Arriaga, the interim superintendent of the Oxnard Unified High School District, announced this week that Officer Tamara McCready will remain at Channel Islands as the campus officer for the next two years.

Dr. Arriaga sent out a recent email to the CI staff announcing that the Oxnard Police Department had granted Officer McCready permission to stay at CI as the School Resource Officer for the remainder of her term. OPD had previously planned to transfer Officer McCready to Pacifica High School.

Officer McCready has 16 years under her belt at CI and plans to add at least two more. The Oxnard Police Department and the Dr. Arriaga agreed that it is in the school’s best interest to keep Officer McCready as the campus police officer.

In Dr. Arriaga’s email, she stated, “I appreciate the work that all involved devoted to this issue and ultimately believe that a decision was made in the best interest of students.”

Several students and faculty members spoke at a recent board meeting on behalf of Officer McCready, expressing concern of her leaving CI.

“I’m very thankful for Officer McCready staying,” said Brian Alvarado, a senior. “I feel more comfortable leaving my brother and the younger generation behind knowing that they are in good safe hands.

Campus supervisor and longtime friend Mr. Pete Rivas weighed in on the OPD’s final decision.

“If you believe in something and know it’s good for the school, you’re going to fight for it. Officer McCready was worth fighting for,” he said.

Officer McCready is very grateful for having two more years as CI’s School Resource Officer. With her next two years, she hopes to make the school safer and form a student school safety committee.

“I plan on helping the school address the Xanax issue on campus,” she said. “I would also like for the students to let me know what is important to them in addressing on campus.”

Officer McCready never expected the overwhelming number of people to step up for her.

“This has been a long haul and I am so grateful to everyone who supported me with special thanks to Dr. Senesac, Ms. J, Mr. Gurney, Mrs. Adrian, Mr. Grennan, Mrs. Madonna, Pete, PTFO Kathy Lopez, our CIHS students, parents, teachers and staff, Superintendent Arriaga, and the OUHSD School Board,” she said.