Alex Ramirez, future engineer

He’s intelligent, ambitious, and the epitome of a perfect student. Alex Ramirez, a prospective college student, has been involved in plenty school and extracurricular activities. For instance, he’s taken part in our school’s football team for all four years as well as the Upward Bound program. Additionally, Ramirez has spent his last three years here at the Islands in track and field.

As a freshman, Ramirez took Algebra 2, a class specifically for sophomores. As of now, he takes two calculus classes in college and hopes to pass the class with at least a B.

For the future, Ramirez hopes to win the Gates Millennium Scholarship and work for engineering companies such as KSI. Out of all the universities that the senior has applied to, Ramirez takes a strong interest in both Cal Poly Pomona and Cal Poly SLO.

“Both Cal Poly Pomona and SLO have great engineering programs and a beautiful campus,” he said. “It’s also much cheaper to go to either Cal Poly Pomona or SLO than other schools; college debt is one thing I really don’t want to worry about.”

Within ten years, Ramirez sees himself “working for a civil engineering company and doing some crazy mathematics while designing different structures like buildings and bridges… lots of bridges.”

Ramirez recounts his best memories throughout his four years in high school to be “going to paintball USA during winter break with some of my buds: Tim Burgess, Andrew Fichtner, Angel Chavira, and RJ Valdez. Also, back in sophomore year we did a Julius Caesar group video project for Mrs. Pidduck’s class; we probably spent more time eating food and playing video games rather than recording ourselves in blanket robes, but we still got a great video done and the highest grade.”

Mr. David Corona, physics teacher, has only known Ramirez for a year and is truly impressed with the senior’s capability and potential.

“His analytical skills are very impressive,” says Mr. Corona when asked what he liked most about the senior. “He likes to find alternative routes to solving problems and enjoys helping others. Overall, best student ever.”

Ramirez’s ultimate inspiration comes from his family. “My parents have always been there, pushing me to not only do my best but also excel in what I love you do.”