Integrity Gives Way to Bribery

Here at Channel Islands we might have a slight problem of miscellaneous activities.

We occasionally have the typical delinquent who is always late to class and thinks that he/she is the hotshot of the class. We also have those other delinquents that might party and get wasted, for lack of better words, on the weekends. And on some occasions we might have that truant who decides it would be a smart idea to bring something illegal to school.

Now everyone knows that this is not  good idea at all. First of all, it is part of school rules, which, in a perfect world, everyone should follow. Not only that, but you run the risk of being caught with the possession of illegal materials, getting suspended and maybe even getting arrested.

No one wants to be the “rat” or the “snitch,” but again, in a perfect world, people would know that as soon as they find out something they should tell an adult or an administrator, you know, clear your conscience.

Unfortunately, we don’t live in a perfect world.

Not all students are the spitting image of a perfect student, or what teachers want in a student. And what is being done about that? Well, it seems the school has decided that since they can’t get students to behave, maybe bribing them will work. The administration staff has been putting up “Crime Stoppers” posters. These posters have been placed all around school, whether it is in the halls or up in teachers’ classrooms.

And why not? Why not give students $50 to cough up information? I mean they already don’t do it on their own right? And we as students just don’t have the integrity to be honest and tell an administrator, right? Well, that’s what it feels like they are telling us.

By trying to bribe us, it feels as if administrations has just given up all hope on us and has fallen back on the last resort: bribing us. Has it really come down to this?