Many in Class of 2022 accepted to four-year universities

With graduation right around the corner, many seniors are finalizing their post-high school plans. Whether they are incoming first-generation college students, serving their country proudly, or honing their career skills at a trade or vocational school, the Class of 2022 should be celebrated for setting themselves up for long-term success after overcoming the barriers that came their way during their historical high school years.

Many of our seniors applied and got admitted to a Cal State or UC school this year. Because of pandemic-related changes to college applications, like the removal of the SAT/ACT requirements, more students applied to these universities this year. For those who applied to in-state universities, much of their support came from the Early Academic Outreach Program (EAOP) and TRIO (Upward Bound & Talent Search) programs on campus. These programs worked together to offer application workshops in the fall, and they have continued supporting seniors by assisting them with financial aid, scholarships, and even proper academic and social habits for adulthood. In fact, according to Mr. Britt Ortiz, the EAOP Director at UCSB, Channel Islands had the second highest number of students admitted to UC institutions out of the EAOP partner schools.

There were a number of seniors who also applied to private schools. One of these seniors is Julian Gonzalez, a track athlete and Wellness Peer on campus. Gonzalez took on the challenge of applying to Johns Hopkins University, one of the top universities in the country for the medical field. Not only was Julian a part of the 5 percent of applicants who were accepted in the regular decision pool, he also received a scholarship of $73,000 a year to attend JHU. In an interview with the Oxnard Union High School District, Gonzalez encouraged fellow Oxnard residents by stating, “It’s that whole saying: go big or go home. You’d never know what could land on your doorstep if you don’t give it a shot.”

Other seniors did not choose to apply to or attend four-year institutions, but they have still achieved a solid foundation for the beginning of their adult lives. Certain seniors chose to continue their education at local community colleges, allowing them to spend more time deciding on their career goals without the worry of educational costs. 

Some seniors like Valerie Magallanes, an incoming freshman at Ventura College, are also choosing to attend community college for an opportunity to continue their athletic careers. 

Seniors who decided not to attend a collegiate institution are still finding success for themselves after high school by either joining the military or attending a vocational school. With Channel Islands being only a few miles away from a naval base, the military community is very active on campus. Many are considering joining the military either to develop their physical and mental strength or to fund their future collegiate goals. 

Seniors attending vocational schools are choosing a variety of careers to pursue, from cosmetology to automotive mechanics. 

One senior, Jiovannie Ortiz, seeks to become an electrician after graduation. These seniors reiterate the important fact that a college degree is not the only way to find stability and success in life after graduation. 

From devastating fires to an unprecedented pandemic, the Class of 2022 has repeatedly faced challenge after challenge. Despite that, they have consistently proven their resilience and commitment towards achieving their goals and bettering their communities. Beyond academic and career achievements, the world will be in good hands with the Class of 2022’s ability to work together and overcome large-scale adversity.