Boys Soccer Making History

Second PVL Championship

Raiders players and coaches celebrate their second straight PVL championship.

This year’s boys soccer team is putting Channel Islands High School on the map.

The Raiders are ranked #1 in Division 2, #8 in Southern Section, #7 in Los Angeles, #20 in California and #68 national.

On Jan. 28, they got their second straight Pacific View League (PVL) championship with a 2-1 win against Pacifica High School. Enrique Tiscareño (12th, mid-fielder) and Giovani Benavides (12th, stricker) scored goals for CI.

The Raiders ended their regular season on Feb. 4 with a 3-0 win against Rio Mesa High School, with goals by Jesus de la Cruz (12th, forward), Tiscareño and Danny Orozco (11th, mid- fielder).

The Raiders finished 8-1-1 in league and took an overall record of 17-3-3 into Wednesday’s first-round CIF match against San Marcos.

This year’s team is filled with a lot of talented players determined to succeed. Coach Adrian Garcia is proud of their accomplishments.

“It was very rewarding because I felt that this year’s team was a combination of hardworking individuals,” Coach Garcia said. “I am very excited to go into CIF.”

Coach Garcia believes “there’s always a need for improvement.” The most challenging team they faced in the league was Oxnard High School, which was the only team they lost to, with a score of 2-1. CI’s goal was an own goal. The team aspires to bring a CIF Division 2 title back to CI. 

Some stand out players this season were Tiscareño, de la Cruz, Orozco, Julian Magdalena (12th, mid-fielder), and Marco Gonzalez (12th, defense). The top defensive players were Luis Aguina (10th) and Gonzalez.