Freshman phenoms make CI varsity teams

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman phenoms make CI varsity teams

Aylani Madriaga and Cody Hoffman are part of the class of 2022.

Varsity athletics, an organization on campus that brings the community together. The varsity sports are typically comprised of juniors and seniors. This year at Channel Islands High School we have two freshmen that earned their spot onto varsity teams.

Girls varsity volleyball experienced a rare instance over the summer when Aylani Madriaga tried out for the freshman volleyball team. Madriaga quickly stood out, her talent and experience were evident. The next morning Madriaga was practicing with the varsity girls.

Madriaga first began playing volleyball in the third grade. She was first inspired to play by her family. Many of Madriaga’s family members play volleyball and they taught her the way of the sport. She also plays club volleyball at Rise, a volleyball club in Ventura, and she has been doing so for three years now.

Madriaga is a defensive specialist and a libero on the court. This season Madriaga has 19 aces, 70 serving points, 197 digs, 16 assists, and 171 serve receives. CI varsity volleyball is currently 2-5 in league with just three games left in the season.

In her next three years at CIHS she hopes to receive an athletic scholarship and continue playing volleyball.

“The best thing about playing volleyball is meeting new people, it also keeps me busy and active.”

The boys’ varsity football team received a rare new addition to their team this year, a freshman named Cody Hoffman. As a tight end and defensive end, Hoffman has had 17 tackles, 79 receiving yards, and 4 touchdowns.

Hoffman first started playing football at the age of 5.

“The passion on the field and the brotherhood” are factors that have made football a passion for Hoffman these past nine years. He was inspired to play by his grandfather and uncles.

CI football players put in many hours on the field, running plays and conditioning. “The hardest part about football isn’t the physical part, it’s the mental part. The losses, the feeling when it’s all over.”

CIHS football has had a tough season. They are 0-1 in league, but spirits are high with five games left. As for the rest of the season, Hoffman hopes to get closer to the team and win games in league.

In the next three years, Hoffman hopes to gather the young group of guys onto varsity and to guide them into winning games. After high school Hoffman hopes to continue playing football at a professional or collegiate level.

With the addition of Buena and Ventura High School to the Pacific View League, the competition for the title of league champs has increased. Despite the odds, the CI Raiders remain optimistic.