Rocking the Islands

Everybody loves games, live concerts, and free prizes. Luckily, High School Nation, visited the Islands April 18, included all three and much more.

The High School Nation Tour is a music and arts festival-on-wheels that visits public high schools across the United States with one objective in mind: to present teens with opportunities in the arts.

The tour travels to high schools all over California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, and many other states. High School Nation’s annual tour cycle begins mid-April and lasts until the end of May.

On Tuesday, April 18,—the second day of its official tour—High School Nation stopped by at the Islands. Channel Islands High School was one of the 60 lucky schools selected to host the tour.

In fact, Dr. Ray Senesac, school principal, was the first administrator on the West Coast to respond to the High School Nation’s request.

He was recognized onstage, awarded with a plaque for his prompt response, as well as a grant to install a free recording studio here at the Islands in 2018.

Outstanding performances from Jena Rose, Elle Ranae, Alex B, and several other up-and-coming singers were showcased. Throughout the festival, free items were distributed to the Raiders, including a guitar, DJ set, ICE carbonated waters, tank tops, leggings, wristbands, and much more.

At the festival, different sponsors held various games and contests that allowed students to have fun, while offering the opportunity to win free merchandise.

Emily Mesa, junior, was one of the few lucky students who won a contest held by the MCs at High School Nation.

“I won a Maschine Mikro, which is a beat maker,” Mesa states. “I had to post any picture on Instagram and use the hashtag [the MCs] said to put in order to be chosen.”

However, the act everyone was eagerly awaiting was the Plain White T’s, which was the final band to perform at the festival. They sang their most notable songs, including “Rhythm of Love,” “Our Time Now,” “1, 2, 3, 4,” and of course, “Hey There Delilah.”

“I thought it was so surreal,” Susana Espinosa, junior, stated when asked about seeing the Plain White T’s.

“I grew up listening to them, so it was a dream come true to be so close to them and eventually stand next to them.”

Once High School Nation came to a close, a multitude of fans flocked to the other end of the football field, where the signing booth of the Plain White T’s took place. Students stayed in line for up to an hour after school to steal a photo and an autograph from Tom Higgenson and Tim G. Lopez, the lead vocalist and guitarist of the band, respectively.

There was entertainment for everybody—staff and students alike—at the High School Nation Tour. The festival-on-wheels provided an engaging experience at the Islands, while celebrating the beauty of the arts.

Though the event only lasted two hours, the Raiders took home an experience that will last a lifetime.